Stainless steel kitchen knives are definitely susceptible to rust spots. It’s inevitable that unsightly rust stains will appear on a knife’s blade at some point, which will have you wondering how to clean rust off a knife.
If your favorite knives are beginning to rust, don’t worry, there are several ways to restore that new-knife look. In this article, we share some tips on how to remove rust from knives.
Read Also: Best EDC Knife Under $150
How does rust form?
Your favorite kitchen knives are often covered in rust, a brown and orange oxide of iron. A metal, like steel, begins to rust when it is exposed to acidic substances, such as water.
You don’t need to be concerned about your knives’ rust spots, however. Despite its age, it is still safe to use with food, even though it may not be as attractive as it once was.
The knife should be kept free of excessive rust stains since this can add impurities to the food and eventually make it unusable.
What You Need to Know About Cleaning Rust Off Your Knives
A knife’s blade can be cleaned using several different methods in order to remove rust stains. Here are some of the methods we have tried and true to remove rust.
The Vinegar Method
In addition to white vinegar, a sponge, and dish soap, you will need a bowl and a soft sponge.
Follow these instructions:
- You can soak a knife in vinegar for 15-30 minutes for minor rust, or overnight for more severe damage.
- Rust spots can be removed by scrubbing with a soft sponge after removing from the vinegar.
- Wash the knife with soap and water after rust stains have been removed and dry thoroughly.
The Baking Soda Method
A soft sponge, baking soda, and water are all you need for this method.
- The paste should be thick enough to cover the rust spots on the knife. Combine water and baking soda into a paste and apply it to the spots.
- A minimum of one hour should be allowed for the paste to sit.
- You can remove rust stains from the knife by scrubbing it with a soft sponge.
- Ensure that the area is well rinsed with water and is thoroughly dried.
The Lemon Method
It requires a soft sponge, salt, and lemon for this method.
- Put salt on the rust stains to remove them.
- Lemon juice should be squeezed over the salt.
- Two hours is about the right amount of time to let the mixture sit.
- Make sure the knife is clean by rubbing it with a soft sponge and lemon rind.
- After rinsing with water, thoroughly dry the area.
Method of the Potato
In order to use this method, you will need a potato, salt or baking soda, and dish soap.
- Potatoes should be sliced in half.
- Dish soap should be applied to one-half of the potato and cut into half.
- Potatoes should be sprinkled with salt or baking soda.
- Potatoes can be used to remove rust stains from rust spots.
- After rinsing, thoroughly dry the area.
What you can do to prevent your knives from rusting
It is important to keep your kitchen knives rust-free once you remove all the rust spots. Keep your knife blades in good shape by following these steps to avoid rust spots on your favorite knives.
- When knives have been washed, keep them clean and dry thoroughly.
- Maintain an environment that is dry and low in humidity when storing knives.
- To prevent rust stains on knives, apply a small amount of mineral oil twice a year as a protective coating.
You can extend the life of your knives by keeping them rust-free
It is unfortunate that even the best knives occasionally get rust spots, but maintaining them, removing rust spots, and preventing future rust spots can be as simple as following a few steps.
When your knives are properly cared for, you won’t have to worry about unsightly rust spots and can concentrate instead on the delicious dishes you will be cooking.
Interested in shopping?
Our collection of French-forged Knives is the perfect choice if you are looking for knives that can withstand anything. A nitrogen-treated stainless steel rod is used to make these knives which are full tang and fully forged to ensure long-term sharpness.